Canon’s M50 Video creator kit is configured for the aspiring filmmaker, the black EOS M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens Video Creator Kit bundles the mirrorless body with the versatile EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens, a Rode VideoMic GO On-Camera Microphone, and a 32GB SDHC memory card. Together, these items form the essentials needed to record well-rounded UHD 4K movies with enhanced audio.
EOS M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens (Black)
Comprising a versatile feature-set to suit both stills and video applications, the black EOS M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera from Canon separates itself from the pack with UHD 4K video recording, a high-resolution electronic viewfinder, and improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Eye Detection AF. Utilizing a 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 image processor, improved Auto Lighting Optimizer helps to ensure clean image quality with low noise, along with top 10 fps shooting rate and a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-25600, which can be extended to ISO 51200 for working in low-light conditions. The sensor and processor combination also enables UHD 4K video recording at 23.98 fps, along with Full HD 1080p60 and HD 720p120 for slow motion capture. The sensor’s design also facilitates Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which uses phase-detection autofocus for quick, accurate, and smooth performance to suit both stills and video use. Additionally, Combination IS 5-axis image stabilization also helps to realize steady, shake-free recording by minimizing the appearance of camera shake.
Complementing the imaging attributes, the EOS M50 also incorporates a 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder and a 3.0″ touchscreen LCD for intuitive control. The screen’s vari-angle design permits working from high and low working angles and its touchscreen interface allows working with Touch and Drag AF for easier manipulation of the AF area. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi with NFC is available for quick and convenient pairing with a smartphone or tablet for wireless image sharing, and Bluetooth is also featured for image sharing to and remote camera control from a mobile device.
- 24.1MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- Both a 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 image processor are used to deliver high sensitivity and fast camera performance to suit both stills and video applications. A flexible ISO 100-25600 range, with an expandable ISO 51200 setting, suits working in a variety of lighting conditions, and the processing capabilities minimize noise and afford Auto Lighting Optimizer for notable clarity in various shooting situations. UHD 4K video recording is also supported at 23.98 fps, along with Full HD 1080p60 and HD 720p120 settings for slow motion recording. Additionally, the processor affords a 10 fps continuous shooting rate, fast camera startup time, and short interval times between each frame for a more intuitive and efficient shooting process.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. Eye Detection AF can also be used for portraiture, and helps to prioritize focus on a subject’s eye for ensured sharpness.
When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system’s ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
- Combination IS
- Combination IS uses the built-in 5-axis digital image stabilization in conjunction with lens-based image stabilization systems to effectively minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. This benefits recording while walking or moving, and can also be used in conjunction with lenses featuring optical IS for more effective overall stabilization.
- Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- Large 3.0″ touchscreen LCD provides an intuitive method for controlling focusing points, navigating menus, and reviewing imagery. This screen also features a vari-angle to better enable working from high and low angles.
- Integrated 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder permits bright, clear eye-level monitoring and also permits working with Touch and Drag AF for manually moving the AF area while shooting with the EVF for more intuitive control.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows for easy wireless sharing of both photos and movies to a linked mobile device.
- Bluetooth permits linking a smartphone or tablet for quick, automatic image sharing between devices as well as remote control capabilities.
- Built-in pop-up flash provides additional illumination for working in low-light conditions. A hot shoe is also available for working with an optional external flash for greater control.
- EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
- Included with the camera body is the versatile standard zoom EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens, which provides a 24-72mm equivalent focal length range. Three aspherical elements help to control chromatic aberrations and distortions throughout the zoom range and an optimized lens placement works to reduce flare and ghosting. An Optical Image Stabilizer works to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting and an STM stepping motor provides fast, smooth, and near-silent autofocus performance.
VideoMic GO Lightweight On-Camera Microphone
The VideoMic GO Lightweight On-Camera Microphone from Rode is a lightweight microphone which adds high-quality audio recording to your small camcorder and HDSLR camera. At only 2.6 ounces, the microphone keeps your camera setup lightweight, making it ideal for handheld shooting. It features an integrated Rycote Lyre shock mount for isolation from bumps and vibration, and offers battery-free operation, using instead the plug-in power from your camera’s 3.5mm microphone input. Please note that the microphone will not work with cameras that don’t supply plug-in power to their 3.5mm audio input jack.
The VideoMic GO is a directional microphone. It utilizes a supercardioid polar pattern to attenuate sounds from the sides, resulting in a signal that sounds closer to the camera, even when shooting in noisy environments or at moderate distances. The integrated shoe mount provides a 3/8″ thread for additional mounting options. A foam windshield and 7.9″ dual mono 3.5mm coiled output cable is included.
- Lightweight Design
- At only 2.6 ounces, the VideoMic GO is ideal for run-and-gun HDSLR recording without the additional weight of larger on-camera microphone options.
- Integrated Rycote Lyre Shock Mount
- Constructed from a single piece of hard-wearing thermoplastic, the Lyre provides superior acoustic suspension to traditional elastic solutions, and won’t wear out, sag, snap, or require any rethreading to maintain its effectiveness.
- No Battery Needed
- The VideoMic Go does not require batteries for operation, but instead uses the plug-in power supplied via your camera’s 3.5mm microphone input. Simply plug in, and you’re ready to record.
- Additional Features
- Reinforced ABS construction
- Foam windshield
- Integrated shoe mount with 3/8″ thread
- 3.5mm TRS mini-jack audio output connection